- Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 goes official, comes in Android and Windows 10 variants
- Motorola Moto X Force launching soon in India, says the company
- Android Marshmallow update coming soon to Android Wear smartwatches
- Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock goes on sale in the US for $79
- Meitu V4 is the world’s first smartphone to boast a 21MP selfie camera
- China’s UMi introduces the Rome with a 5.5-inch display, octa-core SoC and 3GB of RAM, priced around Rs 5,900
- HTC introduces the One M9s with a metal unibody design and Helio X10 SoC, priced around Rs 26,000
- Micromax Canvas Xtreme 4G launched with a 5-inch HD display, 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage, priced at Rs 6,599
- Moto X Play to be announced in India on September
- ASUS Mumbai Zen Festival – Launches New Zenfone Models
Tablets Comparison – Google Nexus 7, Apple iPad Mini, Amazon Kindle Fire HD, Nook HD
Everyone loves to have a big screen device but these big screen devices are not portable every time. In daily use, small screen is preferred to big screen since they are easy to handle and hold. This is the reason why we have so many small tablets last year. Here is a list of top best small tablets among them with clean comparison between their specs, features, battery usage, screen, connectivity features and apps.
Although all the tablets have their own specialty and thus it is hard to tell which one is best. Also different people have different needs so their priority also differs. So, we have summed up the best tablets here that will help you to choose the best one for you. We have also provided a quick specs sheet or all the tablets listed here.
Google Nexus 7
The first positioned is owned by Google Nexus 7. It is one of the smallest and thinnest available tablets. It will it in your pocket easily and is very handy. It has 7 inch screen with 216 ppi pixel density. The image and text quality is clear and sharp. It will support all HD games and apps. The battery power of Google Nexus 7 is of 9 hours and 1 minute.
The device has shortcuts for Settings, Menu and Notifications. Jelly Bean OS of the device is accorded with Google Now feature that will alert and update you. The keyboard is also user friendly. This tablet has Chrome browser. You can download as many apps as you like from the Google PLAY Store.
The only drawback of this device is that it has low sound quality; the speakers are not so good. One side placement is annoying. Also Wi-Fi radio is not as strong as in other tablets. When you update this device, its speed will be affected and will get slower, also it will start to lag.
In final verdict, I only want to say that Google Nexus 7 with 200 bucks of price is a good device to have. It has versatile functions that make it stand alone in the crowd.
- 1.5 GHz clocked frequency Tegra 3 processor
- Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- 7” screen with 1280 x 800 IPS LCD
- 1 GB RAM
- 16 GB / 32 GB internal storage
- 7.81 x 4.72 x 0.41 inch dimension
- 11.99 ounce weight
- 4325 mAh standard Li-ion battery
- Price: $300 with cellular and $200 to $250 for Wi-Fi version
Apple iPad Mini
Apple iPad Mini is another great tablet to own. It has sleek and beautiful design. The best thing in this tablet is its 4:3 screen ratio and speakers. Also it has good support to Wi-Fi solid. All these are in contrast with Nexus 7. It has iOS 6 operating system. It also has shortcuts based on gesture. If you own an iPhone or iPad before then you may know what I mean. You can download the needed apps from Apple Store.
The cons of this device is its screen resolution. It has only 163 ppi pixel density that lack from Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD that has 216 ppi pixel density. When you want to use this tablet to read some text then you will see reflection which is the biggest drawback of this device. Usually people buy tablets for reading and writing purpose and if that will not be fulfilled then the device will automatically be less purchased. Although the screen is good for watching movies as it has 4:3 ratio. Another thing that makes the tablet less liked by the users is its shrunk keys, even the keyboard is not so good. You have to tap again and again until you tap to the small register there. This is annoying and infuriating.
The battery life of Apple iPad Mini is about 6 hours and 35 minutes which is lower than Nexus 7. The price of Apple iPad Mini is $330. If you love Apple other device then this can be a great tablet for you. It holds second position in our list.
- iOS 6
- Dual core A5 processor
- 7.7.” screen with 1024 x 768 resolution
- 163 ppi pixel density
- 512 MB RAM
- Front and rear camera
- Wi-Fi with 4G LTE connectivity option
- 7.87 x 5.3 x 0.28 inch dimension
- 10.88 ounce weight
- Price: $330 to $530 for Wi-Fi version and $460 to $660 for cellular version
Amazon Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Fire is a great tablet too. If you are going to buy a tablet for reading purpose then this will be best for you. It has good looks with 216 ppi pixel density. The connectivity features include Wi-Fi and HDMI. You can download any app from the Amazon Store although it has less apps as compared to Android and Apple market. The advantage of this tablet is Amazon Prime. You will get free two day shipping and many free movies, books and lot more.
The drawback of Kindle Fire is that it is heavy in weight and less portable. Also its size will be a problem or you since it will not it in pocket. Also the keys are so designed and place that are hard to find. Also this tablet has no cellular version. Another problem is in its software. When you flood it with any apps then it will be difficult for you to find one. The tablet doesn’t support multitask feature.
In final verdict, I would say that in $200 this is not a bad deal. You will get a good deice for watching movies and reading along with media player.
- Custom Android 4.0 OS
- Dual core 1.2 GHz TI OMAP processor
- 7 inch screen with 1280 x 800 screen resolution
- 216 ppi pixel density
- 1 GB RAM
- 16 GB / 32 GB internal memory
- Front Camera
- 7.6 x 5.4 x 0.4 inch dimension
- 13.9 ounce weight
- 4400 mAh standard Li-ion battery
- No support to cellular facility
- Price: $200 to $250
Barnes and Noble Nook HD
Nook HD has the highest pixel density with 243 ppi. Also it has 1440 x 900 screen resolution. This combination makes the text brighter and sharper. If you love to watch movies, read magazines and novel then you will definitely like this device. It is the only tablet here that supports microSD card and thus will expand the memory storage capacity.
The drawback of Nook HD is its back design. It has plastic back that makes it look more like a toy. Also it has an orange tint in screen. The speakers are also a drawback since they are only on one side so when you watch movie, it seems a blockage in other ear. Also it doesn’t support 3G or 4G service and Wi-Fi radio is also not so good. The battery power is only 4 hours and 20 minutes. The tablet supports no Google apps. Also Nook’s app store has no good apps in it.
- Custom Android ICS OS
- Dual core 1.3 GHz TI OMAP4 processor
- 1 GB RAM
- 8 GB/ 16 GB + microSD card
- No camera
- 7.65 x 5 x 0.43 inch dimension
- 11.1 ounce weight
- 4050 mAh standard Li-ion battery
- Price: $200 to $250
Read full review of the products: